Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Punkin Head"


We bought a pumpkin (or 'punkin' as I prefer to say) for a party this past weekend but ended up not using it at the party, so we decided to carve it at home last night.


It was a fun little process...
I can't remember the last time I have carved a pumpkin! I didn't realized they were so messy. And frankly, they're kind of spooky looking on the inside...



Anyway, I got my gloves on and took out all the seeds so that we could roast them in the oven.
Those seeds are slippery little boogers!
I cleaned them off, dried them and baked them in the oven with a little brown sugar, butter, and a pinch of salt. They're pretty good, and I read on the internet that they have a lot of good nutrients in them, though I may have defeated that purpose by putting sugar and butter on them...oh well.


While I worked on the seeds, Peter spent a good amount of time cutting out the pulp for us to save and use in something - soup, bread, etc. - if anyone has any good recipes for pumpkin pulp, let me know!
Then, came the carving of the face. Peter did a good job with it, and I think he's pretty cute. He now sits on our little deck outside.

No comments: